Thursday, May 28, 2009

New glasses for an uncertain future

People stress over buying things like houses, cars, and the occasional canine or feline. It's understandable. My mom, for example, doesn't approve of my desire to raise a dachshund. First of all, Henry will be expensive (He is, after all, a short-haired mini), and second, how can I clean up after another being when I myself find it difficult to wash, dry, and iron my own clothing? Richelle once dragged me to the laundry room at Water St to prevent me from going home and having the 'rents take care of it. $5 for the plastic Hercules card and an additional $1.50 (or was it $1.75?) for each load, be it wash or dry. Unsurprisingly, that was my first and last journey to the gargantuan laundry room, which, I admit, uncannily resembled a birthing place for the Republic's clone army.

NYU's rising cost will be its ultimate downfall. Yesterday, Mo pondered taking a summer course at my alma mater. "What the price per credit?" she innocently asked. "It's a bit over a thousand," I answered objectively. She'll be waiting until the fall semester begins. I picture John Sexton as a Sith in disguise, with the university as his Death Star. Where're my Han and Leia to assist me in an attempt to end his reign?

Earlier this week, I made a large investment in a pair of "coffee house" glasses. For those of you who have been cursed with bad eye sight since childhood, you can agree that purchasing new glassses are a big freakin' deal, more than any house, car, or dachshund. Let's cover the lenses first. For an entire week, you'll likely feel as if you're living in that space between Heaven and Hell--what Dante calls "Purgatorio." I currently have no sense of time, and everyone in this computer lab could quite possibly be zombies (Why they have no urge to eat my brains is beyond me). I am simply out of tune. Now for the frames, or as I like to think of 'em, the face's symbiot. I'm looking pretty fly in my new CK's, I feel confident, and I caught several women checking me out this afternoon. Trendy, plastic frames can have that effect. The secret to being able to afford them without health insurance (which many recent college grads lack) is to shop around. Don't land in the first Lenscrafters you see. I went to Cohen's near Union Square, got 50% off the frames, and paid only $20 for the eye exam. Hopefully, I'll score with these bad boys in AC next weekend. In sum, with each pair of glasses, arises a new personality.

I'm going to dinner at an Italian restaurant tonight. I'm tempted to spoil it with Mamoun's or Yogurtland. Falaffel and frozen yogurt are pretty popular in this neck of the woods. I'm off to deal with my hunger. Perhaps I'll sit in the newly reopened Washington Square Park and wonder why the city dropped so many Benjamins just to relocate the fountain. Until next time!

Exclamation point count: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment